FILM IN THOMASVILLE
There is no location like Thomasville. With an array of stunning Victorian homes and storefronts on brick-lined streets to vast wooded sporting plantations set on rolling hills, the scenery is truly spectacular. The only thing better than the backdrop is the genuine hospitality that you will discover once you arrive. The city of Thomasville is a Camera Ready location and is “Film Friendly”. The city’s Film Liaison will work with your team extensively to make sure your project runs smoothly. With all permits running directly through the city’s point person, you only have to work with one team member to get your questions answered.
Why Pick Thomasville?
- Downtown Thomasville is scenic and vibrant, resonating charm with a nod to its Victorian past. Often, our Downtown is compared to scenic villages of yesteryear or urban city centers.
- We have several film ready neighborhoods that provide a look and feel of almost any decade, from the early 1900’s to the 1920’s to present day.
- With more than 10 city owned parks that are each unique, you can pick the one that fits your look.
- There is top-level lodging for cast and for crew, even the ability to stay in secluded locations.
- Thomasville is home to over 50 plantations, many having over 2000 acres of undeveloped land full of large pine trees, undulating hills, swamps, and vast fields.
- Thomasville has its own Municipal Airport that can accommodate small planes and private jets.
- The closest airport with commercial service is located about 40 minutes away in Tallahassee, Florida. Commercial service can also be found in Valdosta, Georgia, about a 50 minute drive away.
- The local YMCA has several ballfields for baseball, soccer, or football, plus a competition swim pool and a kids splash area with water slides.
- Most filming locations are within short driving distances of one another and lodging.
- Thomasville’s vibrant downtown shops and restaurants welcome guests and many are happy to accommodate special visits/tours/services.
Best Times to Film in Thomasville
You’ll be surprised how culturally vibrant Thomasville can be. The pace of life can be as slow as you like or you can hop in the fast lane and take part in literally hundreds of activities each month. There are two large annual festivals that make finding accommodations particularly difficult, and those dates are the fourth weekend in April for the Rose Show and Festival and the second weekend in December for Victorian Christmas.
With so many events happening, there may be other times that hotel rooms are at a premium. Thomasville’s proximity to Tallahassee, Florida creates a wave of visitors around the FSU home game weekends, and FSU as well as FAMU graduation dates. Ask the Film Liaison what dates could cause local hotels to be booked.